The university was inaugurated as the Imperial Moscow University (Moscow State University since 1917) in 1755. It is named after Ivan Sechenov, a doctoral graduate of Moscow Imperial, who is known as the "father of Russian physiology." The institution became independent in 1930 and acquired full university status in 2010. It celebrated its 260th anniversary in 2018.
The academy is a centre for training, certification and further education for medical staff and pharmacists.
It has 20 buildings with classrooms and lecture halls, a clinical centre, a research centre, library, publishing section, a video-photo department, laboratories, botanical garden and several students' hostels.
About 1500 graduates are involved in post-graduate training as part of internship (primary specialization), clinical internship (residency), covering all clinical specialities, or post-graduate courses.
FACULTIES at the University:
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Pediatrics
Faculty of Preventive Medicine
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Postgraduate Professional Training of Physicians
Preparatory Department for International Applicants
Institute of Professional Education
Center of Master's Programs
There are 160 chairs at the university. It collaborates with various international organizations including the International Association of the University Programs for Health Management, the World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and General Practitioners, the American International Alliance on Health Problems, the European Association of Management in Health Care, the World Academy of Medical Education.